Friday 11 March 2011

Day 7 Barcelona, continued

Oncve we had all clambered back on the coach - boy,  those steps were steep! - the driver took us oast various places, tthe names of which I didn't catch as I was too busy snapping pix out of the window, and loving the wide streets and the amazing architecture.

 Las Ramblas, the main boulevard, with hundreds of motor scooters everywhere.



  If I remember right this was designed by the famous architect, Antonio Gaudi, who designed several building in Barcelona, including the cathedral, the next place on our tour.


The whole of the face that we saw (I think the West), was covered with sculptures depicting the life of Christ. Many of them were beautifully done, and some of the detail was extraordinary.




However, the decoration between the figures was bizarre, to my mind, as it looked as though the stone had melted, and dripped down the wall.

The pictures doesn't actually convey the impression it gave me, but quite honestly, I think it is one of the ugliest buildings I have ever seen, and no amount of people saying, "Oh, but it means this or that" will make me change my mind. Yuk!!  So we got back on the coach and drove back to the boat, for our usual evening's entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment